Root Vegetable Casserole
2lb root vegetables either sweet potatoes, potatoes, parsnips, celeriac, or squash, or a mixture of roots.
6 tblsp. Olive oil.
2 bay leaves.
1 tblsp. dried basil.
2 inch piece fresh root ginger, grated.
Â½ tsp. chilli powder - optional.
1 tsp. whole coriander seeds, crushed.
1 onion, grated.
1 carrot, grated.
1 sweet red pepper, very finely chopped.
2 tsp. tomato paste.
1 tblsp.tamari soy sauce.
1 x14 oz can. tomatoes
10 fl oz creamy coconut milk
2 tblsp. tamari soy sauce.
1 tblsp. olive oil.
1 tsp. ground black pepper.
1. Peel & slice vegetables into thick rounds.
2. Parboil the vegetable slices for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile make the sauce, heat the oil, bay leaves, basil, ginger, chilli powder and crushed coriander seeds together in a heavy pan.
4. Add the onion, carrot and red pepper and stir well. Lower the heat, cover and soften gently for 10 minutes. Watch out for burning.
5. Stir the tomato paste & tamari and cook and stir for 3-4 minutes.
6. Add the tomatoes cook & stir again over a gentle heat for 5 minutes.
7. Add the coconut & stir well.
8. Layer the parboiled vegetables in an oiled casserole dish. It should be about half full.
9. Pour the sauce over the top & wriggle the dish to spread it evenly to the bottom.
10. Splash & sprinkle with tamari soy sauce, olive oil and ground black pepper.
11. Bake in the oven 180ºC/350º/Gas 4 for approx. 40 minutes until the potatoes are really soft & the top is bubbly & golden.
12. Serve with chunks of wholemeal (whole-wheat) bread & a green vegetable or salad.