Bean & Barley Bake
4oz. Black - eyed Beans
6 oz. Pot Barley
1 tblsp Olive Oil.
1 chopped Onion .
2 cloves Garlic.
6 sticks Celery, sliced
8 oz. Mushrooms
1 tsp Vecon
1/2 pint Soya Milk.
1 tblsp dried Herbs
Pepper to taste.
4 sliced Tomatoes.
Fresh Herbs to garnish.
1.Soak beans over night in about 1 pint water, rinse, boil rapidly for 10 minutes, discard the water and bring to the boil in fresh water and then simmer for 1 hour.
2. Soak the barley overnight in 1 pint of water.
3. Heat the oil in a pan, add the onion, garlic and celery and sauté for 1 - 2 minutes.
4. Stir the mushrooms in with the onions and the garlic.
5. Add the barley with it's liquid and the Vecon, cover and simmer for about 35 minutes until tender.
6. Blend the cornflour with a little milk and add to the barley with the remaining milk, beans, pepper and dried herbs.
7. Heat gently, stirring until thick and creamy.
8. Put in a heatproof dish and arrange the tomatoes on top and grill until light brown.
9. Sprinkle with fresh herbs and serve.